Ok, ok. ANOTHER HOLIDAY POST. After all, ’tis the season for that and all that jazz.
I didn’t think Hanukkah was happening this year for me for a number of reasons…
- My family isn’t here to celebrate it with me.
- My family isn’t even Jewish.
- Hanukkah is not a major holiday on the Jewish calendar. It rates big with the kids for presents and adults for latke-recipe contests, but it’s really more of a festival.
- I don’t have access to a deep fryer.
- I have to work most of the evenings this week.
So, it looked like the “Jewbie” (my self-proclaimed moniker as a recent convert to “The Tribe”) was going to be solo drinking her “vodka-tonicas” during her very first Hanukkah, which is really just wrong-ica. (Thank you, Adam Sandler.)
When I was out with my parents’ good friends (my surrogate NJ parents), Honey & David, tonight, they asked me about my Hanukkah plans. When I explained my reasons for not celebrating the holiday this year (see above), they invited me to come light the menorah at their house when I have time over the week. Apparently Hanukkah is a big deal at their home…decorations, latkes frying…I’m excited for Thursday evening (night #2).
I’m hoping we can get a serious game of dreidel going. I want the full Hanukkah Experience.
p.s. My posts may be very sporadic over the next 8 days. Lots of work and a school presentation to finish up. But I have a little present for you to tide you over: A Facebook friend shared this awesome Hanukkah remix by Jewish acapella group six13...it does the Biebs and Enrique Inglesias proud! Enjoy!